Wednesday, July 13, 2011

#2 - Overdo/Limit(ation)s

Hmm, I think I'll just do a slightly shorter/quicker post. I'm quite exhausted. But I just felt strongly about this today, so I shall post.

Everyone has their abilities, and the things they do best at. But everyone also has their limits, their limiations. Overdoing things past their limits would bring harm to oneself and those around her.
I can't really recall what I had wanted to say about overdoing things, but I think the main point was that it is never good to overdo things.

Sometimes, you may feel that what you're doing is right and beneficial for whoever you're doing it for. Yes, that may be true, but overdoing things, and doing things in excess often causes more troubles and harm to that person.

For example, you like to help people with their work when you notice that they are struggling. You notice a classmate one day, then enthusiastically go forward to help her. Okay, the first time you help, she will definitely appreciate you. But since you know and feel that this particular person needs extra coaching, you got into the habit of asking her after every half-a-block of lessons if she needs help.

I'm sure you would know what happens next without me saying anything. By doing that, you're actually overdoing it. Yes, you started off with a really good intention, which is to help her with her studies. But making assumptions (that she is poor in everything for instance) and having too much enthusiasm (to want to help someone) would eventually lead to an excess of a certain action. We all know too much of a good action can be annoying. Occasionally is fine, but if you insist on giving her help when she doesn't need any, it will be kind actions done in excess.

I know this may not be a really good analogy, but point is, it is never good to overdo anything.

About limit(ation)s... Basically, what I wanted to say is just that no matter how hard you push yourself, there are always some form of limit to the things that you can achieve. These limits are your own limitations. However, it is not that when you have a limit, you are a loser or anything. What I mean is that every single person has her own weaknesses and strengths, but it is really entirely up to that person whether you want to accept that you have limits to what you do and get along with life.

So basically, I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't demean yourself with your limitations, but rather, work on what you can do to improve yourself. But in doing so, don't overdo it. It's never good to be too good at something.

That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment