Sunday, July 12, 2009

Yay for section blog.
"Why do you like band?"
"Idk how to explain."

Well, actually I do.
Just take it would have took me quite long to explain.

Okay, let's start from Primary 5.
The truth is, I didn't join band because of any strong reasons.
As in, it wasn't like OMG, I LOVE MUSIC, I WANNA PLAY AN INSTRUMENT, IT'LL BE SO COOL, OMG.
That kind of thing.
It was more like OMG, MY CCA JUST GOT REMOVED FROM THE LIST OF CCAs. NOW WHAT? JOIN BAND AR?
Why band? Cause I know quite a few people from band.
Yup.

Another truth: I didn't like band. Not that I hate it or anything. I just didn't love it like I do now.
Because I was P5, the conductor wanted to quickly promote me to main band.
(Cause you know, it's quite embaressing to be in recruits when I'm like P5 and the rest are P3s and 4s.)
So like, normally, the recruits have to go through a small test to get into main band.
I didn't have to. (Cause I probably would have failed it.)

Hmm, oops, let's go back a little.
I got assigned to play tenor sax.
Hm, you can say I was quite hardworking.
I stared and stared at the notes and tried to remember which notes lie on which line/space, and my fingerings.
Fingerings weren't too hard.
Almost the same as a recorder's.
But I took quite long figuring out the notes.
It took me a month?
Cause at first I relied on counting the spaces and lines and writing what that note is on top of the lines. (Is it called ledger lines or sth? I still don't get it.)
I didn't really write notes.
I wrote "Doh, Ray, Me ..." -_-
Then I can't remember why, but there was one day during lunch, I forced myself to memorise the whole thing and I finally got it into my head.

Oops, one whole chunk of crap :/

But anyways, back to going into main band.
I relied on my counterpart, A LOT. A LOT.
Seriously.
Without him, I would have like died.

Whenever we get a new piece, I'll wait till he plays, then I'll imitate him.
As in, the rhythm.
My rhythm still sucks. ><
I did it every single time.
Wait, listen, imitate.
Wait, listen, imitate.

I remember attempting to play I Recommend and failed terribly.

I remember seriously screwing up at the concert.

I only saw and knew there was an instru known as "The Baritone Saxophone" at the end of the year in P6.

Well, anyways, point is:
I only got into RGSSB by luck and by my background. (Background as in, I was in Primary school band.)

You know, I think MO seriously hated me for even trying out for the trials.
The interview went like this:
"Why do you want to join band?"
"Erm... Because I was in band in primary school, and I would like to continue being in it...?"
"... Anything else to add?"
"... No..."

...
Uber fail.

Okay, back to the main point.
WHY DO I LIKE BAND?
Well, I love the people in it.
Second, I love my instru, like ALOT ALOT, who cares if its silver and collects saliva super easily.
Third, I have a wonderful SBM who loves telling lame jokes, but still never fail to make me laugh like some lunatic.
Fourth, I have brilliant seniors who are brilliant because they are SLOW.
Fifth, I have to admit, I love my juniors for being so committed to band.
Sixth, I love the music we make, heck the squeaks and tuning.
I love how bonded we are.
How we can put aside our differences and come together to play a moving piece as one.

I don't know what else to say.
I just love band, period.
It's not just another activity to past time.
It takes up a third of my life.

(Are you satisfied with mr answer?)

I miss band.
I miss every single person in SLWWs.
I miss my batchmates.
I miss trying hard to play my instru well.
I miss MO.
I miss the laughter.
Attendance taking.
Perseus.
Instru.

WHY CAN'T YOU JUST GO AWAY YOU STUPID FLU ):

No comments:

Post a Comment